Sunday, October 5, 2008

NBC's Brian Williams Dishes about Palin on Letterman: Funny and Informative

I don't know about you, but when I look at Brian Williams, I am inevitably reminded of a "Ken" doll. Not really fair, I know -- he's a good newsman. But he just doesn't move me. Still, I must admit that if I watch the network evening news -- I'm more of a cable girl myself -- I tend to watch NBC Nightly News. I think it's a Brokaw holdover -- nobody did it like Brokaw. Yes, Cronkite was great, but I don't really remember him all that well -- that's just history to me. In my lifetime, Brokaw was the man.

Anyway, I came across this great interview David Letterman did with Williams on Friday -- post-vice presidential debate. It's very informative, and Williams reveals a pretty wonderful sense of humor as well as his chops as a serious newsman. I do need to say there are some sexist remarks by Letterman that I found more than a little problematic -- I know, I know, it's late night television. And while I am not a Palin fan, I couldn't help but cringe at some of Letterman's remarks and his tone as he mimicked the vice presidential candidate. I don't have to like her politics to object to that -- to me, that's an obligation that is above politics. Letterman's sexist remarks are also evidenced in the debate recap Letterman did just prior to Williams coming on stage. Letterman walked a narrow comedy line in the recap -- some of it worked, some most definitely did not.

The Williams interview comes in two parts from YouTube... if you like the first segment, you'll enjoy the second one as well.







Copyright 2008 (text only). The Zaftig Redhead. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: